If you are looking for flooring, take a look at what your local quality supplier has in stock. Here we will look at wood, engineered wood and quarry tiles.
What is a quarry tile?
You might be forgiven for thinking that a quarry tile is quarried, however, it is manufactured. It is made from natural ground minerals and formed and then fired in the same way that bricks are made. Because of the minerals used and the high temperatures in the firing process, quarry tiles are usually harder than bricks. They are water-resistant and so are unglazed.
What minerals do quarry tiles typically contain?
The minerals used in quarry tiles have, of course been quarried. These are usually feldspar, which can be found in abundance in the Earth’s crust (the uppermost layer of the planet). Basically, any glass-like mineral that isn’t quartz is probably feldspar. It’s usually white or off-white, but sometimes feldspar is orange or beige. Feldspar flashes in the light, whereas quartz glitters in sunlight.
Clay and shales are also present in quarry tiles.
Where can you use quarry tiles?
There are many uses for quarry tiles. They aren’t often found in bedrooms, although there’s no reason for them not to be. They can be used in sun rooms, kitchens, or in entrance halls.
Quarry tiles are most often red. but they come in other colours too, such as brown, grey, or tan. Lighter shades of quarry tile that have not been sealed will retain stains, so are best not used out of doors.
Because quarry tiles resemble terra cotta, there is some confusion about whether or not they absorb water. They don’t but terra cotta does. Quarry tiles are fired at temperatures in excess of 2,000 degrees F. This means that they are vitreous, or glass-like. It means that they are one level below that of impervious as far as water absorption goes.
Quarry tiles are usually smaller than ceramic tiles, but you can get them in 6″ x 6″ and they can go up to 8″ x 8″. They are usually thicker than ceramic tiles, ranging from 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick.
Although quarry tiles can be rough, especially when it is used outdoors, when they are used for the interior of homes, they are smooth and can be easily walked on in bare feet.
A lot of people think that sealing quarry tiles ruins their appearance; nothing could be further from the truth. Sealing them will not make them change colour or destroy them. Sealing them will stop them becoming discoloured and stained.
Perhaps you don’t fancy quarry tiles on your floor, some people prefer wood flooring and you can choose between many different types all of which are much easier to clean than a carpet, and they are healthier too as they don’t attract dust, which means that they are great for people who suffer from allergies.
Advantages of wood flooring
Few would deny that wood flooring enhances a home. Here are some of the advantages of installing wood flooring in your home:-
- It adds a certain warm glow to your living space.
- Both types of flooring (engineered and real wood) are much easier to clean than a carpet.
- They are healthier too as they don’t attract dust, which means that they are great for people who suffer from allergies to dust, animal dander and so on.
- You may change the décor of your home over the years, but a wooden floor will be perfect for any type of décor.
- All you have to do to clean a wood floor is sweep it once a week and then dry mop it, or perhaps vacuum it to get rid of dust and perhaps, dirt. It will be far more stain resistant than a carpet.
- Wood flooring is virtually indestructible, it might get scratched or dented, but it will stand up to a lot of wear and tear.
- Did you know that a wood floor can improve the acoustics in your home? It can minimise or eliminate hollow sounds or vibrations.
- When your carpet becomes old, stained and generally worn out, you have to throw it away. You won’t have to do that with your wooden floor!
If you are considering getting new flooring for your home, make sure to pay a visit to Richard Williams a North Wales flooring supplier for amazing quality products.